Can I Plumb in a Fridge Myself? – Fridge Plumbing Installation in Melbourne
Fridge Water Connection Point Installation Melbourne
As the weather warms up (very slowly if you live in Melbourne…), the desire for a cold beer or ice on demand grows stronger. If you’ve upgraded to an icemaker fridge, you’ll need to ensure it’s properly installed with a dedicated fridge water line. This not only ensures a steady supply of ice but also prevents leaks and potential water damage. Fridge plumbing installation must always be completed by licensed plumbers, and pricing can be dependent on whether your property is single storey, double storey and the location of the fridge.
What’s So Good About a Plumbed in Fridge?
Gin and Tonic without ice? Snow thanks! I’m prone to a tipple of Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz or Christmas gin this time of year poured over tonic water and served with a big ol’ bougie round ice cube. My Kmart ice block mould works fine if it’s just me, but if all my jingle ladies are around, I can’t quite keep up, which makes me wish I had a…
LG InstaView Refrigerator. Do I care about the knock twice to see inside gimmick? Nope. Smart in-built storage drawers? Nah. Craft Ice ball maker and chilled filtered water on demand? Now that’s love at frost sight.
Some fridges don’t require a fridge water connection point, but most fridges with ice and chilled water capabilities will require a water line to be installed behind your fridge by a licensed plumber.
Can I Plumb in a Fridge Myself?
Unfortunately, your fridge plumbing installation will need to be completed by a licensed and insured plumber if your fridge requires a water line installed. You can find out if your plumber is insured here on the VBA practitioner verification website. If you play with DIY fridge plumbing installation and your house floods, your insurance will be void and your insurer will not pay for the damage (without an invoice or compliance certificate, you will have no evidence to show your insurer it was a legal plumbing installation).
How Much Does an Icemaker Tap Connection Cost?
It’s frustrating to hear, but it all depends on factors such as if your home is a single or double storey, how far your fridge cavity is from the kitchen sink, the layout of your kitchen, what appliances are in the way, if the water line needs to go through the roof, under the floor or just through the cabinetry. If you are renovating or building, a fridge water line is straight forward and can be installed easily during the rough-in stage. Retrofit plumbing water lines can start from $500-600.
Are you after a fixed price for your fridge water line connection? Send us your home building plans and photos of the area and we can assess them and provide a fixed quote for your plumbing project.
What Does a Plumber Do When Installing a Fridge Water Line?
What does your licensed plumber do for that kind of money? When we install your fridge water connection point, we conduct the following:
- Assess fridge for included fittings, filters and water point.
- Assess nearest water point available within kitchen/bathroom/ceiling void utilising existing points where possible under sinks/ benches.
- Explain to client installation sequence and where pipework is to be installed and ensure they understand prior to commencement.
- If water point is to be installed within ceiling void we ensure we have an isolation valve installed in an accessible position within fridge cavity and or close by cupboard
- Install water point and connections including 300kpa PRV, isolation valve and pipework to fridge. We carefully route the tubing from the water supply to the back of the refrigerator, avoiding kinks and sharp bends, ensuring a smooth flow of water.
- Turn water on and bleed are through to fridge water/ice maker ensuring to follow all manufacturers installation instructions.
- Test functionality of fridge and explain to client features and location of emergency shut off valve.
- Ensure no leaks and client is given a compliancy certificate if requested.
Get Your Fridge Plumbed in Today
Are you ready for cold water and ice on demand? Give McCarthy Plumbing Group a call on 03 9931 0905 and we can schedule an appointment for you to have water connected to your fridge in Point Cook, Williamstown, Altona, Werribee, Laverton or surrounding suburbs in no time.