Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas slightly lighter than the air we breathe that can pose immense threats to commercial property owners with heaters and furnaces. Most commonly you will see carbon monoxide risks in facilities with poorly kept furnaces and heating systems. As a commercial property owner you should pay very close attention to the condition of your heating system in order to ensure safety for your customers and employees.
Carbon monoxide can be present for quite some time before being detected. Businesses who run gas appliances or use traditional forms of heating such as furnaces or hot water heaters should always be employing some form of carbon monoxide testing on a regular basis. Being that carbon monoxide has no odor it can be very dangerous, large quantities of carbon monoxide can be potentially fatal if not treated with the proper medical attention immediately.
Restaurant owners should particularly take caution and inspect their properties for the presence of carbon monoxide. This is largely due in part to the fact that restaurants thrive off of the very appliances that put you at the biggest risk for exposure to carbon monoxide.
Other common business types that should pay special attention to carbon monoxide threats are places such as gyms, churches, hospitals, retail stores and many others. Carbon monoxide detectors are a really great way to catch CO threats before they seriously affect someone.
There are a lot of ways you can keep your business and the lives of others safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. If you own a business and need help testing your facility for carbon monoxide, then contact a professional plumbing company to come out and assist you, like McCarthy Plumbing Group.